Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Schwartz - Week Fifteen

Initially, I was confused as to why I would be required to take a course in graphic design. I was very nervous for this class, because I am not an artistic person and do not respond well to visual cues. I never considered myself to be someone that would have any need nor interest for graphic design in my life, and I thought that the class would be essentially pointless for my future. I am a public relations major, so I thought-- when would the application of graphic design ever come into play in my potential career paths?

Well, I was immediately mistaken as our first project was the resume design. This was the most practical project as well for my field, so right from the start I was proven wrong. This beginning just reenforces the continuation of lessons I have taken from GRA 217 throughout the entirety of the semester. As we embarked upon each new lesson and project, I found myself learning a bit of new information as we went along. I was shocked at how interested I became in a class I originally resented enrolling in. I found lectures to be informational, because I knew absolutely nothing about graphic design before this class. To take this to a new level, I was actually interested in the new knowledge I was absorbing. I have found graphics to be both interesting and important to me, as I feel a lot more confident about my knowledge of graphic design but also see the ways that it can help me both on a professional and personal level. I am leaving graphics as my favorite class of the semester.

I am a new Newhouse transfer so I hope that my other classes continue to impress me as much as this one did. By no means did I find this class to be easier than I expected, as I struggled through every project we did. I found myself spending more than half of my free time each week in the lab. Every second not spent doing other work or tending to personal needs, I was in the lab. I have put my heart & soul into every project we have completed, and although the grades may not always reflect it I have put the most effort possible into each project. My favorite, and also the most challenging, was the magazine project. I found that once I came across a topic I really liked, I was engrossed and interested in the making of the magazine. I hope that someday in the future I am able to take my graphic knowledge to the next level, but if not I know that I have learned so much as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment