Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Project 3: Logo Design - Rinder


Design Strategy:

I came up with several possible ideas for my logo design. I decided to include a flower because heather is a type of flower. I think the flower also gives it a sense of optimism and cheerfulness. I am usually a very positive and happy person, so this represents my personality.

I included my middle initial in the design to give it more depth and add another aspect of myself. I chose to make the ‘L’ the same muted color as the flower petals to create gestalt.

I chose the color based on one of the colors that the heather flower comes in. The dark purple is rich and feminine but not too extreme (such as a bright pink). I also think the purple color I chose looks modern. I love this shade of purple; I think it works well to represent myself.




I liked the idea of using one color, in different opacities and transparencies throughout my stationary system. I think it keeps it cohesive, clean, and simple.


Choice of Typefaces:

I went with the same clean lines as on my resume project. I chose a sans serif font, Avenir LT Std, for my name and information on all aspects of the stationary system. For the logo I used Book weight. For my name and the information I used Roman weight. I kept my logo with all capital letters. I think it makes the logo strong, and bold, in contrast to the thin, delicate lines of the flower petals.


Visuals:

I took the first letter of each part of my name, and made it capital. Each letter is in it’s own text box to make it easier for moving. Then I made the letters closer together by moving the text boxes. I overlapped the ‘L’ with the ‘R’ to make it more interesting. Then I put a white rectangle over the connection between the counter and the stem of the ‘R’ to add a modern appearance, and a principle of gestalt.

For the flower, I drew one petal with the pencil tool and copy and pasted it several times. I overlapped the petals of the flower, and each overlap is not exactly the same. I think this gives it character and a sense of dimensionality.

I then made the flower and the ‘L’ the same color, and the ‘H’ and the ‘R’ the same color. I used only a few (9) petals to surround the corner of the ‘R’, but used a whole flower on the front of the business card, and on the back of the envelope.

I kept the flower on the back of the envelope, and on the business card, all very transparent.




4 comments:

  1. I really like the shade of purple that is produced from the overlapping lines on the back of your business card. It brings in a subtle esthetic that adds to the over all effect of your design. Also, none of your shades of purple are too overbearing or bold. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your logo. I think it looks really professional and I think you used a lot of the ideas we talked about in class. You used the idea of continuation with the "R" and also in the flower. I also really like the two tones of purple because they give off an elegant vibe without being too bright and overbearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the use of color in your initials. The contrast from the H to the L to the R is very attractive. Your logo seems like the perfect balance between artsy and classy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love this design. It's so professional and feminine. The colors are great, and it looks like something you would see used for a company in real life. I love how you blocked out a portion of the R to make the font more your own, and the contrasting colors work really well together. You also used the flower really effectively throughout each design.

    ReplyDelete