Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Sunday, March 28, 2010

Week Nine | LaSorsa



Design Process

Since I was not blessed with a visual name and did not wish to use a visual pertaining to my future profession, I was going to have to make some kind of symbol out of my given initials. The first thing I became aware of was the line symmetry the letter “D” and the letter “L” shared. I started sketching many possiblities and in the end, chose to use a lowercase “d” and uppercase “L”. Out of all of my sketches, it seemed to be the most distinct and clear use of the letters together. I kerned the two letters until they touched. The top of the symbol now looked as if it was coming from one origin and then diverging from each other to distinguish between the “d” and the “l”. Kerning them allowed the letters to form one bold statement, which would stand as my logo.


Typefaces

For the mark I intended on making with my initials, I knew I had to use a sans serif font. I would need the letter “D” and the letter “L” to match up for when I would kern them to form a single entity. I was specifically looking for a typeface in which the lowercase letters did not have a large x-height. I wanted the audience to see the symmetry on the top of my symbol before they moved their eyes downward, to see the split of two different letters. The typeface I chose for my logo is Bauhaus Std Demi. The typeface stood out to me as I browsed through the library of fonts. It was one of the most unique typefaces, for it was more rounded than most of the other fonts. I thought this typeface made my logo flow.

For my name and contact information, I used ITC Avant Garde Gothic Std Demi. Using it to both distinguish my name and for my contact information, would create consistency amongst my project. This was once again, a sans serif, so it did not clash with my logo typeface. Avant Garde Gothic Std was very rounded and used a lot of circles, which went well with the Bauhaus Std typeface.


Design Choices

Even though I am usually opposed to color, I thought my logo needed it in order to distinguish between my initials. I thought using different tints of one color was the most subtle way to approach the situation. I picked a dark, mellow purple (C=100%,M=100%, Y=25%, K=35%) and used it throughout the entire project. I used a lighter tint for the letter “L” in order to distinguish the two letters within the design. There was no difference in the color, just the tint, so the use of color was very subtle. For my contact information on the bottom, I wanted to incorporate that use of color, in order to have constancy in my project. I would have to use the darker color for the text so that it would be visible over the lightly tinted background.

I thought my symbol in my logo, expressed who I am. The logo was simple yet the typeface was bold. The dark purple “D” and the light purple “L” represent the two sides of my personality. It takes me a while to warm up to people but once I do, they know me as a pretty outgoing person. I enjoy having fun and being silly (the light side) but when necessary, I become that serious, responsible person who gets things done (the darker side). I think my logo shows that balance in my life: how different aspects of my life come together to form one unique individual.



No comments:

Post a Comment