Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Friday, April 16, 2010

Week Thirteen-Igbeare






For my magazine I decided to do my magazine on Edie Sedgwick. I decided to focus the magazine on her style rather than her life. In the 60s, she was known as Warhol’s muse who people thought had great style. I found a lot of articles to choose from which was helpful. I decided to use an article from the Philadelphia Inquirer. The author spent a lot of time talking about her style and how the 60s era is still seen in many trends today. When I searched for her photos a lot of them were in black and white. At first, I didn’t want a black and white magazine but over time I started to like the idea. I chose the picture as my cover shot because of her facial expression. I felt that this photo had a lot of emotion. Originally, I had trouble finding a picture that was big enough but luckily I was able to find this shot, which I think, works well as the cover. I put the title of my magazine vertically so that it would seem as if she is looking at the title. For my feature shot I really wanted a picture that would cover both spreads, but unfortunately the pictures I found weren’t as good as this one. I think this picture is serene and very stunning. I like how Sedgwick’s eyes are up as if she is looking up at the text. For the jump spread I chose a photo that leads the viewers to the text. I really liked how her leg is the same length as the text. The next photo I chose was of her and Andy Warhol. I chose this photo because her expression is light-hearted and fun as opposed to others, which are more serious, especially the cover and feature. I also liked the fact that her cigarette leads to the sidebar. I tried to focus on photos that lead to text in the magazine.

Typeface:

For my cover I chose Didot Bold because my magazine is heavily based on fashion. I felt that this font represented what I wanted my magazine to portray. For the Date on the cover I chose a simple sans-serif. Arial was unobtrusive and complimented the overall cover. On the feature spread I chose Bashee Standard. I thought the font complimented Edie’s overall personality. I also wanted it to compliment the feature spread as well. For “It” I used Flood standard because it looked like a paintbrush. I was a little disappointed in how the feature spread turned out. I didn’t know how to make the text more visually appealing so I decided to keep it safe. Unfortunately, it kind of lacks creativity. For the deckhead I used Isadora standard. I wanted the font to look like it was from the 60s. The font looks funky and fun. On the folios I used my cover title’s font but used Benguiat standard for the date. On the Captions I used Arial standard. I felt it wasn’t overly distracting. For the body text I used Berkley OldStyle standard. I thought this font complimented the pictures I chose for the jump spread. On the sidebar I decided to reintroduce the Flood standard with the title of the sidebar. I wanted to have similar fonts throughout my magazine. In the body text of the sidebar I used Big Caslon standard because I wanted a different font than the body text.

Photo Credits:
Cover Photo - http://garconnette.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/inspiration-edie-sedgwick/

Feature Photo - http://stylecouch.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/an-it-girl-from-the-factory/

Jump Spread #1 - http://fuckyeahediesedgwick.tumblr.com/

Jump Spread #2 - http://guromusic.blogspot.com/2010/01/old-is-gold-celebrity-part-3.html

Sidebar photos Chanel:http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2007CTR-CHANEL/

Zac Posen: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/detail/slideshow/S2009RTW-ZPOSEN?event=show1862&designer=design_house166&trend=&iphoto=10

Fendi: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2007RTW-FENDI?event=show1524&designer=design_house23&trend=&iphoto=0

Christian dior: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/F2005RTW-CDIOR?event=show1301&designer=design_house27&trend=&iphoto=1








Cover – Didot Bold 77/95 CMYK – 15,0,0,0 – Red
Date – 18/3
Number – 40/48

Feature Spread: Bashee Standard 130/13.5 CMYK Red
Flood Standard 160/ 13.5
Bashee Standard 120/13.5

Isadora Standard 25/26

Folios – Date – Benguiat Standard 9/11
Didot Standard 9/11

Captions – Arial Standard 9/11

Body Text – Berkeley Oldstyle Standard 10/13.5
DropCap – 3 size
Indent – 2 p spacing

Sidebar – Flood Standard 32/27 CMYK Red
Big Caslon 10/12

No comments:

Post a Comment