Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Friday, April 16, 2010

Week Thirteen | Palladino





Story Selection:

I chose a story from The Dallas Morning News about the popularity of cake balls among home bakers. I had learned about cake balls, also known as cake pops, before finding the article from one of the cooking Web sites I visit regularly. I love to bake and cook, and when I found a recipe for cake balls I decided to try to make them myself. They turned out to be a huge hit among my friends and family, so for my magazine story, I want to find some way to incorporate this new-found dessert which, I believe, is deserving of all its popularity.


Choice of Typefaces:

The typeface for the magazine’s flag is Bauhaus Std. I chose this typeface because I wanted to create a food magazine for young, adventurous and aspiring bakers, and I loved how Bauhaus Std was fun, yet still legible. I also think the typeface works very well with my magazine’s name, bon bon, which I chose to keep lower-case to give an aura of informality and lightheartedness. The folios also match the typeface of the magazine’s flag.

I chose ITC Avante Garde Gothic Std for the headline and deckhead because it’s very functional for larger type and has large, circular counters which mimic the shape of a cake ball. Using circles in the cake balls themselves and in colored decorations in the magazine to create continuity was very important to me. I saw how I could use ITC Avante Garde Gothic Std’s large counters to hold colored circles and spice up the headline.

For the body text, I chose ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std for its legible quality and effectiveness as body text. I also envisioned my magazine’s demographic as mainly women in their 20s to middle aged, so the femininity and softness of ITC Berkeley Oldstyle Std appealed to me as well.

For accented text, pull quotes, and smaller headlines within the story, I chose a contrasting sans serif typeface, ITC Kabel Std, which I thought was unique and fun with it’s diamond-dotted “i’s” and funky “g.” I also chose a sans serif for the sidebar text - Cronos Pro because I love its fluid characters and soft characteristics.


Color Information:

All colors were used in CMYK values and I chose to keep my color scheme pastel because I feel pastel colors are light and fun. Cake balls, and baking in general, is a fun activity and I wanted to express fun and lightheartedness in my color scheme as well as in the entire layout of the story.



5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your magazine. Your design layout is really creative. I love how all the colors compliment each others. I like on your feature spread the bon bons are leading to the deckhead and the headline. Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your magazine really attractive to read. Your grid structure and images are very effective. I really liked how the circle images are leading to the side bar stories and that is really creative work. Overall all, I really like it and it attract me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your magazine is really fun and sweet- just like a bon bon. I love how you used circles throughout the layout to emulate the shape of the bon bons, and the colors and pictures you chose really complete the entire look. I also love the "bite me" on the cover- it's really clever and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the color schemes of your magazine. It is a very fun design and I love how you called the article Poppin'. It is a very enjoyable magazine to a viewer. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the whole idea of your magazine. The yellow background looks very good and stands out. Your titles and headlines are great. Good job!

    ReplyDelete