Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Week Twelve | LaSorsa

Decision Making

I originally was going to do my magazine feature story on a celebrity who I knew would have extravagant pictures, Lady Gaga. However, after realizing how overused and un-original that idea was, I changed my story to a feature about an indoor cycling studio. I thought that the feature was fresh and I was very familiar with the studio itself, which would lend to my design plan. I love this indoor cycling studio and it really changed my perception on exercising. I figured that this story would inspire others. I included the article I found on soul-cycle.com because the text I used in the magazine is a random text file.

Typeface Information

In staying with the Gestalt principles and creating consistency in my magazine design, I chose to use only a few typefaces. I repeated the same few typefaces throughout my entire design. For my header, byline, pull quote, folios and most of my cover, I used Berling LT Std. I liked the typeface because it was basic but also changed a lot when I used it in different weights. For example, I used Berling LT Std italic for my header because it gave it a softer look, which went with the soulful feel of the spinning studio. I used Frutiger LT Std for my decks and captions because it was a very plain sans serif that would be simple to read. I wanted my body text to be a classic typeface that readers would respect and relate to. I chose ITC Caslon 224 Std in a book weight because it fulfilled these guidelines and was also easy to read. Since I wanted my sidebar to stand out and look more personal, I searched for a typeface that looked handwritten. I used Flood Std because it was a lot different looking and would contrast the typefaces of the rest of the article. Throughout the entire layout, I only used three typefaces. I wanted to keep my design clean and consistent and believed that using more typefaces would confuse the reader.

Images and Color

I did not use much color for my magazine design. I used a burnt orange color (C=7.89%, M=28.63%. Y=49.64%, K=0%) for the second spread background. I took the color from the image on the first spread. I liked the color for how it represented SoulCycle, it was soothing, relaxing but a tiny bit of pop. Other than that I only used black and white. For source and picture size please see attached sheet.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you connected each spread with similar color and gives it good continuity. I also like how the picture on the first spread has a 3D feeling to it and leads the viewers eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the spinning spread. The picture is wide open and very bright. The picture is very appealing and is a great lead into "Spinning for the Soul."

    ReplyDelete