Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Sunday, February 14, 2010

Week Four| Murphy


Erica Murphy | GRA 217.4 | Project 1 Rationale

Design Strategy Once I developed an idea in my head, it was difficult to get it onto paper in a creative way. I knew how I wanted to match the wordmark and headers, but the design for the body of the resume was hard to figure out. The design I chose is simple, easy to follow, and easy to understand. It reflects my ability to know what I need to accomplish and complete it in a successful manner. Whoever reads this understands what I believe is more significant and sees the skills I can bring to the company. After I designed and colored the headers, my resume still looked a little drab. I wanted another touch of style. When looking at my resume, the dates and locations accompanying my experience and education appeared lost on the page. Instead of looking organized, it looked sloppy. Connecting the top lines added order and gave the eye something to follow in a way that made sense.

Choice of Typeface I wanted typefaces that were interesting, but easy to read. I chose the typeface Joanna extra bold for my wordmark because I liked how the M’s connected to make that perfect rectangle. That rectangle added some spark to an otherwise boring name. I preferred a slab serif type because the serifs lined up and looked clean cut. I made all the letters lower case except for the two M’s because it created symmetry on both sides of the M’s. There are 5 letters on each side to once again make my name look clean cut and professional. I used Ellington Mt Std in regular for the body of the resume because it was easy to read, but still caught my eye with the angled, old style serifs. I enjoy the contrast between the two typefaces because they combine style and class, which are qualities I hope to demonstrate in the interview.

ExtrasI added color to my resume to keep it from looking so bland. Each heading is a dark blue, which stands out from the black and white, but not too much . I chose to make one letter a different color and upper case in the headings because I wanted the reader to think back to my name. When there are three reminders, how will my future employer forget me?

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a very interesting resume. I think the colors work very well in your design, but I'm not quite sure how successful the uc/lc pattern works out for your resume. Your capitals in the headers spell out the word RAIL, which would be clever if I knew that it connected to something but is sort of confusing if it has no meaning. Did you mean for it to be this way?
    Other than that, the form and layout for your resume is great and it is easy to read like you intended.

    ReplyDelete