Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Thursday, February 11, 2010

Week Four | Palladino

Design Strategy:

Upon approaching this project, I wanted to try to cater my resume and its design to a specific audience, while also adding my personal touch and keeping it clean and professional. I modeled my resume’s design after Body+Soul magazine and its website, wholeliving.com, because I hope to apply for an internship with them over the summer. The style of both the magazine and the website is crisp, clean and simple, therefore I wanted my resume to mimic that style.

Choice of typefaces:

The typeface I chose for my wordmark and headings is the sans serif ITC Eras Std. I really enjoy the sans serif look and larger x-height this typeface has, and I believe it fits in nicely with the style I’m trying to emulate. Much of Body+Soul magazine and wholeliving.com use sans serif typefaces for their content, and they especially use sans serifs for their headings. I wanted my name to be in the top center of the page, drawing the reader’s eyes to it and capturing their attention. The aspect of ITC Eras Std I like the most is the unclosed bowl of the letter “a.” This gives the counter space of the “a” a unique shape and makes this typeface much more unique as compared to other sans serif typefaces. I also chose to make my wordmark and headings stand out more by altering their CMYK color values to create a soft, pastel green. This shade of green is very similar to the shade used in wholeliving.com’s wordmark.

I chose the oldstyle typeface of Bembo Std for my body text. Since I made my wordmark and headings more modern with a sans serif typeface, I wanted to make my body text more traditional and professional. Choosing an oldstyle typeface worked best for me, especially since Bembo Std.’s x-height and serifs create simple, readable letters. Overall, I think the marrying of modernity and professionalism in my resume is clearly established by my choice of typefaces and design.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked how you spaced out your last name to make it more noticeable. I also liked how you mimicked the design and color scheme of the magazine you want to intern for. It's a good way for you to stand out from the crowd.

    ReplyDelete