Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Friday, February 26, 2010

Week Six- Mikaelian

I created a poster for "Mountains for Miracles," a program run by the Jimmy Fund that plans mountain climbing exhibitions to raise money for cancer research (particularly children's oncology). Because this event is for children but will be attended by adults, I wanted to make the poster something people of all ages would enjoy.

For my visual, I was inspired by the cover of the book "Star Girl." On the cover is a yellow star that looks like it's drawn. I immediately thought of this when I wanted something that represented the miracle this organization is striving for. By making the star look as if it was drawn showcases the fact that this program is geared towards children.

I wanted to create an image of a "person" reaching for the scribbled star, and thought making the title "Mountains for Miracles" into the shape of a mountain would really tie everything together. For the words "Mountains" and "Miracles" I used a font that was very blocky and messy, resembling rocks, and gradually stretched the letters to form the mountain. I then used a sans-serif font for the "for" in the title and all other information on the page. For the person I used the "X" in a font called Cutout. To make it look like a person reaching for the star I flipped the character's left arm downwards and angled it to make it look like the figure is stretching.

For colors, I wanted a muted pallet that is all earthy colors. I used a light light blue background to represent the sky, and a darker, muted grey/blue for the person and all the information included on the poster. I also made the "for" in "Mountains for Miracles" blue and the sans-serif font to separate the "Mountains" and "Miracles", which I made light green since I feel that it compliments the other colors in the poster well.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your poster a lot. I loved how your visual concept connected to Stargirl, that was a very nice idea that works well with your organization. Also, one might think that your choice of a messy, blocky typeface would prove difficult to read, however I love the effect that typeface choice has for your poster. It really ties your conceptual idea together and makes the entire visual work. Your choice of color scheme is also great as well - it really is similar to Stargirl.

    ReplyDelete