Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Friday, February 26, 2010

Week Six - Seo



This organization called “Cheon Ji In” is one of the clubs in Syracuse University and they play music with Korean traditional instruments. I decided to make the poster of this organization, convincing people to join the club. Apparently many people, including I did not have any knowledge of this organization of what kind of music they are playing. I visited them, observing their practices and I realized their performances were similar to the Blue Man Group. My target audience for this poster is the college students who are not only interested in music but also wanted to release their stresses. I think this organization has great way of releasing their stress and enjoying of what they are doing.

Choice of typefaces:
The music they are performing actually called “Samulnori” which is the old tradition Korean performance in the history. They have specific performance with the Korean traditional cap called “Sangmo” and it attaches with long single band on the top for twirling. I used this idea, making words with this long band instead of using the formal typefaces. I did this using pen points in illustrator; thus, it does not follow the baseline and the letter sizes are all different. The formal information about the information on the bottom and the mid left side, I used ABCD , the old fashioned style of typeface which has similar concept of this organization.

Visuals:
In the Gestalt principles, I used closure which makes the shape in incomplete, but it has enough images to visualize the complete shape. I think this was effective because not it keeps in simplicity, but it makes poster look more sophisticated. Black and white formation is good strategy for focusing one typical shape or words and it makes readers easily understandable and grabs attentions in a few seconds. Placing the color of black as a background makes the main white objects more accentuated than the placing the white color as the background. I used red color for the name of the organization on the mid right side in order to emphasize the name because it is hard to remember.

1 comment:

  1. I like the simplicity of your poster. I think the contrasting colors of black and white to create your visual works very well with the club. I also liked how you created the typeface for "wanted" as a single, lopping line. The choice to put the organization's name in red was also created a nice effect, for it makes the club's name pop and stand out amongst the black and white visual.

    ReplyDelete