Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Friday, February 26, 2010

Week Six - Stanislaus

Design Strategy and client information:
The non-profit organization I chose to use was the Make a Wish Foundation. The demographic of the organization is mostly geared towards children who have life-threatening conditions. The mission of the Make a Wish Foundation is "we grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy." From this mission statement you can see that the goal of Make a Wish it to give children with severe diseases the wishes they have always wanted. I chose this organization because of its mission and its want of helping children. When I first saw the event being hosted by the Make a Wish Foundation, Dishes for Wishes, what originally came to mind were the dishes from the movie, Beauty and the Beast however, I had to alter my idea as a result of not being able to use images from Google. However, I came to another solution and was able to still develop a poster for the organization. From this poster, I am trying to grasp the attention of the viewer and have them want to come out and support the event. I didn't want the poster to make people feel bad for these children with these diseases, I instead wanted to create something fun yet still able to get the point across. I believe I have accomplished that.

Choice of Typefaces:
I chose to use Americana Std. for the "When you wish upon a star..." beacuse I felt that the font had a dreamy look to it. It is easy to read from a viewer's point and I believe that this serif font was able to enhance the dreamy, starry effect portrayed in the poster. I decided to use Cantoria MT Std. for the information because I felt that it complemented well with the Americana Std. and it pops out at the viewer.

Visuals:
I created the plates, star and teapot in Adobe Illustrator. I used the shape tool in Illustrator to create the plates and the star. For the teapot, I used the pen tool within Illustrator and traced an image of a kettle off of Goofle and onto Illustrator. I curved the words for "When tou wish upon a star..." by going to Object, Enevelope and Arch tab in Illustrator. I chose to make the dishes a cream color; it isn't to bright yet it stands out. I used c1m0y19k0 for the plates and teapot and for the star I used Pantone 109C. I decided to make the font white so it stands out from the background and I proceeded to put the Make a Wish logo in the star because I felt that the placement there emphasizes the idea that a star symbolizes a wish. For the background I decided to use c100m100y25k25 for the sky and for the ground I decided to use c90m30y95k30. Overall, I believe the colors mesh well together and I am very happy with the overall project.


























1 comment:

  1. I feel that you effectively utilize the star to draw the reader across the page, down to the detail information. It does not allow the reader to get caught up with the visual, but gets the concept across as they are drawn across and down the page. The font is elegant and easily readable at the same time, and works well for your design.

    ReplyDelete