Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Friday, February 26, 2010

Mel Fish - Poster Project

Rationale-

The client for which this poster was designed is the Move Along Foundation. This is an actual client of the Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity, which was the leading influence as I solved the design problem. This poster was designed as the first of a series of posters representing the improvised sports that Move Along offers, so I was limited to the sport of wheelchair basketball. It was difficult for me to link the visuals of a wheelchair (or handicapped person) with basketball. After all, the reader is almost guaranteed to not be conceptually familiar with the sport when seen on a piece of 11 x 17 paper. To solve this, I decided to impose the texture of a basketball onto 'players' and put them on a basketball court to further carry the idea. The wood gradient was used to further represent the court, something I feel is vital to my design. I was not limited by color or printing issues, so the use of color makes sense for this design.

Type-

The typeface that I used was ITC Clearface Standard. I feel that this works because I am advertising an auction, an event that should be perceived as classy and significant. Clearface, to both me and the director of Move Along, is easy to read, significant, and elegant enough to advertise such an event. I used CAPITAL letters for the headline of the poster, mainly to draw the reader away from the visual at the top of the page and down to the information. The curved Zeta Beta Tau... is utilized to encompass the center circle, emphasizing the shape and concept of the poster.

Visuals-

To create the basketball court, I used the rectangle and circle tools. For both the top and bottom, it is meant to activate gestalt principles, where the reader must visualize both a basketball hoop at the top and the rest of a center circle at the bottom. When creating the 'players,' I used the detect images tool in InDesign, copy and pasted the the outline into Illustrator, and then clipped the texture of a basketball to fill in the players. The X's on the poster were done the same way, except that I used the color dropper to fill them in with a black fill. Finally, I used the Wood gradient available in Illustrator to create the texture and look of a basketball court.

3 comments:

  1. Nice poster Mel! I really like the basketball court design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way that you filled the handicap logo with basketball texture- this was an idea I applied to my poster as well. I can appreciate the time that you must have put into trying to successfully carry out this design, and it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of the background of the poster and the color is well matched, using gradients. Additionally, I liked main message of this poster typed all in capital which is so focused and well accentuated. I liked he designed the handicapped person, using color of basketball which I thought it was very creative. It placed the messages so well; one is in the circle and one is located in round of the circle. The poster is simple and concise that it sends the message well.

    ReplyDelete