Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Week Five|Murphy


When I think of Gestalt design principles, I think of objects and pictures that mess with they eyes and force close scrutiny of that object or picture. I think that this poster represents the principles of similarity and figure and ground. All posters that are created out of smaller pictures represent Gestalt principles. Each smaller picture is similar in size and color. This makes it hard for the eye to focus on something because the figure and ground blend together. At one moment, the figure can be Uncle Sam, and the next it can be a bunch of unrecognizable pictures. Gestalt principles are useful when creativity is key, but sometimes they hinder readability. I would be interested in the Uncle Sam poster as decoration, but I would not want it to try and sell me something. There is too much for the eye to focus on for this type of design to be successful as an ad.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this poster and your ideas about it. I agree that it is hard for this to be a promotional advertisement, it is more of a decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think this poster is a good example of gestalt principles. Instead of seeing the tons of individual pictures that make up the larger image, our eye puts them together into an image of Uncle Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I also liked about this poster is that all the small images are related to the Uncle Sam’s Period when all the Wars appeared in early 20th century. Those small images were the posters which describe the events during the war. I like the way of how the designer gather all these small posters and combined them into larger poster which the all their themes and concepts are related.

    ReplyDelete