Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Thursday, February 25, 2010

Week Six| Murphy

Erica Murphy| Poster Rationale

Design Strategy

The non-profit organization is the Lion’s Club, which is an organization that raises money to help the blind. It represents an older demographic and the events they hold reach an older demographic as well. I thought that a successful way to showcase the “All you can eat breakfast” was to make the poster seem childlike and handmade. This way, it makes the participants think of their grandchildren or children and the handmade projects they used to make as kids.

I was having trouble thinking of an image and slogan that related to the Lion’s Club event. Eventually I drew the similarity between “Lion’s” and the Wizard of Oz. I took “lion’s and tigers and bears” and replaced it with certain aspects of breakfast. I think that this fit well with the child theme because every child knows the Wizard of Oz and every parent knows it as well.

­Choice of typefaces

I wanted the typefaces to look like something a child would pick. The boldness of Antique Olive had a little flair that would attract a child’s eye. It stood out just enough without overtaking any of the other elements of the poster. I chose a serif font for the details so they were easy to read. The serifs on Bembo Std add a little extra to the traditional serif font.

Visuals

I used mostly the pen tool to create my visuals. I traced various pictures and letters in order to create the yellow brick road. I chose a golden yellow (C:10.44 M:23.11 Y: 100 K:0) to represent the yellow brick road and added a filter to give a textured look. I decided to use a gradient for the background color because a plain background looked too bland. The blue and green are supposed to represent grass and sky.

The text and visual follows a “Z” pattern, so the eye is easily able to follow what is going on. I also wanted the poster to bleed because it gives the poster more of a finished look. Also, kids rarely leave space when they color, so their posters certainly would not have white space either.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the use of visuals in this design. The image that takes the place of the O effectively gets the concept across, while still allowing the reader to understand what the text says; ultimately, it does not hinder the effectiveness of the design. Conceptually, I also feel that this poster is very clever and original. The Lions Club logo is also used very effectively.

    ReplyDelete