Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Week Six, Stefaniak

Design Strategy:

I wanted to create a poster that intrigues the audience in a visual and modern way as well as create interest in the event and its purpose. In addition, I aimed to broaden the scope past the regular audience that art auctions target since they mostly attract art and animal lovers. In having relatively no parameters, (my organization was paired with a larger organization for this event), I was able to create my design to the best of my ability using full color and design.

Typefaces:

Since the design is intricate and multi-layered, I felt that a sans serif font would work best for the headline. Folio Std provides the design with a coherent typeface that mirrors the thin and thick brushstrokes of the cat. To further imitate the picture, I decided to use the medium weight for the main words “Support” and “Pawcasso,” and the light weight for the words in between. I felt this also sandwiched in the message to create a compressed and direct headline. For the information below the headline, I decided to use a complimentary sans serif typeface, Gill Sans Regular, to tie in the information to the design.

Visuals:

I created the visual in Adobe Illustrator by using a mixture the different tools (pen, pencil, paint) and CMYK color and its adjustments. I wanted to hand draw a visual that combines Picasso’s style of art and the use of an animal to pull in the main headline and the event. The use of duller CMYK colors adds a modern flair to the otherwise heavy color palette that Picasso used; otherwise, I would have added too much bulk to the design and lost the connection between the picture and the event. In keeping the design modern, I wanted it to rest on a soft background that compliments the color; I used CMYK in InDesign and adjusted the colors.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you used an assortment of colors on the cats face to emulate a Picasso look. The play on words in your headline is great. Your text uses great visual hierarchy to lead the readers eye from one block of information to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like the color used for the cat. I think it is really different from what would typically think of a cat to look like. Because of this, the graphic really represents the topic of the poster and fits perfectly with the slogan. Everything about this poster looks really sophisticated and classy which is what I think of when I think of going to an art show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this poster. The play on words is clever and definitely draws the reader. The way you grouped information makes it easier for the audience to read. I also like the illustration you used. Your poster is really simple but effective as well.

    ReplyDelete