Welcome to the Official Class Blog of GRA217- Section 4


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Week Three - Rinder

In Lupton's 'Text' chapter, she says that, with word exercise, you can express the meaning of a word or idea through the placement of letters on the page.

This design is really creative. Even though there is not a picture of the actual product, the words, and design express the idea and appearance of a running shoe. The text is put in the shape of a shoe, and although not all of the words are readable, the most important words, 'I Am' and 'Runner," are clear.

The rest of the words in the shoe are formatted in multiple directions, with different baselines. The small font size and odd layout of the text creates problems with the readability, but in this case, the text is more about creating the appearance of the shoe, than what it actually says.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that this is an excellent use of type for word exercise, but unfortunately the designer has failed to include the brand of the shoe. Even if it's somewhere, the design is so skewed so that all I can really read is the "I Am" and "Runner" that are so essential to the design. While design is important, selling the product is, too, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really agree with this ad. I find it rather difficult to read and that takes away from what the ad is trying to do, and that is to buy the product. The actual designer of the shoe is unknown to me because either it is not printed or it is illegible. This ad may be creative, but I think it confuses the reader too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a perfect example of text that is not meant to be read. The ad displays the product through small texts. I think the concept was good, however, it doesn't display the advertisers which is a downside to the product.

    ReplyDelete